>From KMCD E-News

Vedic City Seeks To Buy Neighboring Farmland

Two opposing parties went head-to-head during public comment at the
Jefferson County Board of Supervisors meeting Monday. Bob Palms came
forward to inform the supervisors of a situation he has been put in
regarding his farmland north of Fairfield. Palms said he's had a
threat to condemn his family farm by officials in Vedic City.

Palms received a letter recently with an appraisal from Vedic City
and an offer for the land, which butts up to city on the east and
south sides. However, Palms said it was less than half the value of
the land.

Kent Boyum was present on behalf of Vedic City for the Cypress
Village preliminary plot discussion, however; he was able to comment
on behalf of the city about the matter.

"Ever since I've worked for the city, and even before the city
existed we've been interested in the Palms' land," Boyum said. "We
learned that he'd talked with others about selling the property, and
so we talked to him and had an appraisal done. We met with the Palms'
and they didn't like the price."

Boyum went on to say that Vedic City can condemn the land, and
they've gotten advice from the city's attorney to condemn it for the
purpose of making a city park. Boyum said they need to start with the
appraised value of the land, and the city has done it, and now the
Palms can as well.

"It seems like an aggressive measure to me as a supervisor for the
city to go and take someone's land for use as a city park,"
Supervisor Dick Reed said.

Vedic City currently owns only eight acres within the city, while the
non-profit group, Global Country, owns the majority of the land.

"This needs to be well thought out with a purpose and a plan,"
Supervisor Steve Burgmeier said. "I believe the underlying reason for
this is not to build a park, but probably because you've heard he was
looking at putting a business on his land and that's not part of the
ideal of the community. Eminent domain for this purpose is an abuse
of power. And I hope when this is all said and done we can all remain
civil."

The city plans to hold a public hearing on the topic on Sunday, June
24 at noon.

"Having a public hearing at noon on a Sunday, is not a typical day to
do government business," Burgmeier added. "Most people are just
getting home from church then, and want to eat dinner. If you want
the people at-large to come for public comment, you'll need to change
the time."

"I don't believe a city or a county should take these steps to take
someone's land," Reed said. "It's his business to sell the land, and
at what price he sells it. It's not right to use eminent domain to
obtain it. I'd like to see you go through other means before taking
these measures, and making people use what may be their life savings
to go to court and pay lawyer fees."