Why is it, that some "sour grapes" svaamiis think
Patañjali advises people not to practise siddhis?
The reason might well be that the Sanskrit skills
of many of them are not too good.

As many of us know, the original suutra goes
like this:

te samaadhaav upasargaa(,) vyutthaane siddhayaH.

If ones "linguistic intuition" is weak, one might
actually read that as a warning against practising
siddhis. But Patañjali in fact refers only
to the "refined" senses mentioned in the previous
suutra:

tataH *praatibha*-shraavaNa...

The clue(?) for interpreting that suutra is to make
it clear for oneself, what is the antecedent of
the pronoun 'te'(they).

We are not sure, but we guess, that when Patañjali
uses pronouns like that, they usually refer to the
previous suutra. At least Vyaasa in his Yoga-suutra-bhaaSya
makes it rather clear what he thinks is the antecedent
of that pronoun. Sez Vyaasa:

te praatibhaadayaH (*praatibha*-aadayaH: praatibha, etc.)
 samaahita-cittasyotpadyamaanaa...

To paraphrase kRSNa's last words in the Giitaa:

iti matir mama...  ;)