Yoga May Help Treat Depression, Anxiety Disorders

By E.J. Mundell
HealthDay Reporter Thu Jun 7, 11:46 PM ET

THURSDAY, June 7 (HealthDay News) -- Yoga's postures, controlled
breathing and meditation may work together to help ease brains plagued
by anxiety or depression, a new study shows.

Brain scans of yoga practitioners showed a healthy boost in levels of
the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric (GABA) immediately after a
one-hour yoga session. Low brain levels of GABA are associated with
anxiety and depression, the researchers said.

"I am quite sure that this is the first study that's shown that
there's a real, measurable change in a major neurotransmitter with a
behavioral intervention such as yoga," said lead researcher Dr. Chris
Streeter, assistant professor of psychiatry and neurology at the
Boston University School of Medicine.

She believes yoga could prove a useful tool to help people battling
depression and anxiety disorders. "We're not advocating that they
chuck their medication, but I would advise that they could use it as
an adjunct and see how they are doing," Streeter said.

Her team published its findings in the May issue of the Journal of
Alternative and Complementary Medicine.

In the study, the Boston researchers used high-tech magnetic resonance
spectroscopic imaging to gauge levels of GABA in the brains of eight
long-time yoga practitioners and 11 non-practitioners. The
participants were healthy, and none was diagnosed with a major
psychiatric condition.

Brain scans were taken before the beginning of the experiment. Then,
the yoga group was asked to engage in the meditative practice for 60
minutes, while the non-yoga group simply read. The researchers then
re-scanned each participant's brain, looking specifically at GABA levels.

"We showed a 27 percent increase in the brain GABA levels of those
doing yoga -- a really significant increase," Streeter said. No such
change was noted in the non-practitioners who had just read.

She said the style or school of yoga practiced didn't seem to matter.
"We had hatha, ashtanga, bikram, vinyasa, and kripalu" practitioners
included in the yoga group, Streeter said, "and many had been trained
in several different schools."

According to Streeter, "this all gives us one of the mechanisms by
which yoga may be having a beneficial effect. There could be other
mechanisms."

But another expert pointed to what he considered flaws in the research.

Zindel Segal, chairman of psychotherapy and a professor of psychology
and psychiatry at the University of Toronto, has for years studied the
use of behavioral interventions to alleviate psychological woes.

He said the Boston researchers were to be commended for using brain
scan imaging technologies to investigate the effectiveness of these
techniques. But he questioned why the yoga group was simply compared
to a sedentary reading group and not to another movement-based group.

"Exercise itself may have some effects on GABA, so I think in this
study, you'd really want that comparison," he said. Including such a
control group would make it clear that it was yoga and not just an
hour of physical exertion that was responsible for the brain changes.

He also pointed out that all of the people in the study were mentally
healthy, and clinical depression and anxiety disorders involve more
than the "daily fluctuations in stress and tension" that healthy
individuals are prone to.

"We know that yoga can have a profound effect" on smoothing out life's
daily ups and downs, Segal said. "But so does working out on a
Stairmaster for an hour."

Segal also questioned the role of GABA in depression. While it may
play a role in anxiety disorders, "GABA is not one of the main
neurotransmitters that seems to be a part of the depression story," he
said. Other neurochemicals -- most notably serotonin -- play much
bigger roles in the disorder, he said.

None of this means that the study's findings are without merit, Segal
said. "In fact," he said, "we have a program called 'mindfulness-based
cognitive therapy,' where we do use yoga, as well as mindfulness
meditation," as therapeutic tools. Streeter's findings "suggest the
need for more study of these practices," he said.

Streeter agreed that her study is probably just a beginning.

"I think what's important about this study is that it shows that by
using really cutting-edge neuroimaging technology, we can measure real
changes in the brain with behavioral interventions -- changes that are
similar to those that we see with pharmacologic treatments," she said.

Would other mind-body practices -- Tai Chi, for example -- produce
similar effects?

"I think that's very possible," Streeter said. "I suspect that all
roads lead up the mountain."