Vaj, I've never heard how Maharishi received (or appropriated)
the "Yogi" suffix, but do you believe that it is only correctly
accorded a Hatha Yogi? Certainly, Guru Dev was spoken of as a Siddha
Yogi although no account I've read says anything about whether he did
or did not do Hatha Yoga.

And if memory serves, Cenkner's Ph.D. thesis on the development of
the SRM mentions that at Guru Dev's ashrams meditation and pranayama
was emphasized/practiced more than asanas.  If so, then Maharishi's
own lack of expertise might be why he enlisted the help of a more
formal practitioner.

Marek

**

> On Jun 12, 2007, at 4:24 PM, boo_lives wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>

> > since

> > > As she also mentioned the Naga Baba traditions - which are later
> > > affiliates of the Dasanami and indicated she is part of it:
> > >
> > > The contact i had to the Avahan Akhada,where also giving
mantra
> > diksha
> > > to ordinary western women who didn't even ask for it. my
friend, an
> > > israeli woman said she received quite a long mantra, unasked,
by a
> > > mahant of the Avahan Akhada, after she spend coniderable time
in his
> > > vicinty. They are really trying o initiate people into their
fold,
> > > that is making you a sannyasi. In Ujjain there where at least
200
> > > western sadhus alne with the Juna Akhada. But my point is
this:
> > Okay,
> > > I admit that there are certain initiations that are kept
secret,
> > which
> > > in a sannyasi tradition you will get only after you are fully
> > > intitiated, that is, you are a sadhu. But for me a great master
can
> > > shape the subtle body of a disciple by mere proximity. I have
> > > experienced this myself. If a master is great, he can simply
give a
> > > transmission without words, if he feels a student is deserving.
He
> > > wouldn't break a vow in this. While there are words only to be
used
> > > for certain iniiates, this doesn't mean that the essence of that
> > > wisdom of a master couldn't be transmitted through other means,
> > > especially if this student has shown great dedication. Just
imagine
> > > poor student Mahesh running around in the Ashram for GD,
basically
> > > doing everything, organizing the procession for him at the
Kumbh and
> > > all other places, but when it comes to the high teaching, Guru
Dev