"> To clarify: My view is that when you tell deliberate
> untruths, or (more often) simply engage in intellectual
> dishonesty, the "nefarious ends" in question are the
> preservation and/or promotion of your self-image."

Form Wikipedia:

Intellectual dishonesty:

"The terms intellectually dishonest and intellectual dishonesty are
often used as rhetorical devices in a debate; the label invariably
frames an opponent in a negative light. It is an obfuscatory way to
say "you're lying" or "you're stupid", and has a cooling effect on
conversations similar to accusations of ignorance."

Me: Yeah, that about sums it up.