--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
> >
> > *Superb* long article on Wikipedia in the
> > NYTimes magazine:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2ofc4h
> >
> > The writer, Jonathan Dee (a novelist as
> > well as a contributor to the magazine), has
> > managed to combine a great deal of solid
> > information about Wikipedia with a wonderful
> > feel for its ethos and what the people are
> > like who do the bulk of the work. Lots of
> > telling anecdotes, a good bit of humor.
> >
> > I practically worship journalism like this.
> > This article is a work of art, but it's so
> > compusively readable you may not realize it
> > until you take a step back and realize what
> > Dee has accomplished.
> >

> Just occurred to me, the word 'wiki' *might*
> be (an?) adaptation of English 'quick' into Hawaiian
> (morpho?)phonology...

Wiki wiki is the Hawaiian pidgin word for English "quick," but
funnily enough the genuine Hawaiian (Hawaiian as part of the
Austronesian family of languages, not pidgin) word for quick
is "awiwi," so there could have been some interplay between adapting
wiki wiki as the pidgin word for English quick along with the
indigenous word for quick:

http://tinyurl.com/2hko2y