--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > The last thing I want to do is get involved in a
> > > bunch of US politics and conspiracy theories, but
> > > as long as you're doing it, I think you might want
> > > to aim your conspiracy theory a little less far
> > > into the future. Economic collapse, scholapse,
> > > dude...there is an *election* coming up, and elec-
> > > tion that the Republicons cannot possibly win. So
> > > do you think it's possible that a few of them are
> > > thinking, "Hmmmm...we can't win an election, so
> > > why don't we have a terrorist attack instead?
> > > Then we wouldn't have to *have* an election."
> > >
> > > That's the way we'd do a good conspiracy theory
> > > 'way over here in Europe.  :-)
> > >
> > > And just in case things turn out that way, I just
> > > wanted to be on record as having said it first,
> > > *from* 'way over here in Europe.  :-)  :-)  :-)
> >
> > Ahhh, no, not really. If I had a nickel for every
> > time I've heard this suggested--since well before
> > the 2004 election up to today--I'd be a wealthy
> > woman.
>
> Yeah, but it would be an uneasy wealth.  As when you go to buy
> a car and unload 100,000 nickels.

Not to mention that the idea's been around for decades in
scifi, not just since 2004. I wrote a scifi short story
myself in the early 90s about a US president who stages a
suitcase-nuke attack against an American city in an attempt
to establish an authoritarian regime.

What triggered the story idea at the time was not the real
possibility of terrorist attacks against America (which
hadn't happened yet) and thus the staging of them, but a
simple set of laws that I stumbled across on my first visit
to New Mexico. I was visiting Los Alamos and read an article
in the paper there about a neighborhood in the town, close
to some of the oldest nuclear facilities at LANL, in which
*every family in the neighborhood* had one or more cases
of cancer in the family.

The gist of the article was that the city of Los Alamos
and the state of New Mexico was powerless to conduct any
tests to determine if the soil in the neighborhood was
polluted with nuclear radiation, because *they were for-
bidden by Federal law from doing so*.

These laws have supposedly been in effect since the 1950s
and the Cold War. *Only the Federal government* of the
United States has the right to investigate nuclear events.
It's actually against the law for anyone else to run their
own tests or do any serious investigation.

So in the story, even though I imagined a "nuclear foot-
print" to the suitcase nuke that would have identified it
as being American-made, no one was allowed to determine
that "footprint" except the government itself, and so
the report that they issued said that it had come from
the former Soviet Union.

It was just a story, but the sad reality is that, given
these laws, it doesn't have to stay one.