> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rory Goff" <rorygoff@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Question, short form: Is Katie's "the work," whether
> > > valuable or not, just another form of moodmaking?
> >
> > Answer, short form: No.
> >
> > > I don't know. I'm just wondering. Those of you who know
> > > more, please explain it to me.
> >
> > Try it and see for yourself, or keep on spinning rationalizations
> > why Not to try it, it makes no difference to me. I'm still gonna
> > kick you in the nuts every time I see you on crack waving a pistol
> > around -- metaphorically speaking of course :-)
>
> I'm chuckling, remembering when you suggested the
> Byron Katie approach to me some time back, and I
> rejected it on similar grounds to what Barry's
> putting forth here.
>
> He proceeded to try to kick me in the nuts for
> purportedly spinning rationalizations on why not to
> try it. (You refrained from doing so, apparently
> because I didn't seem to you to be metaphorically
> on crack waving a pistol around.)

Thank you for settling, at long last, the question
of whether you *have* nuts.  :-)

Thank you also for settling the question of how
long you can go after one of your long, relaxing
weekends away without falling back in to the "Gotta
trash Barry" routine.  :-)

But just for fun, is this the post that you char-
acterize as "trying to kick you in the nuts?" If
so, I guess I'm trying again. What I thought your
motivations were with regard to realization then
are exactly what I think of them today. And there
is no more of an attempt to "kick you in the nuts"
in my reposting them than there was in posting them
in the first place. The purpose *of* posting them
is to show you the stories you tell yourself about
the past, and the way that you tend to remember --
or misremember -- that past. No stories, no pain.
True stories, no pain. Imagined stories, seemingly
a great *deal* of pain, equivalent in your mind to
being kicked in the nuts.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > snip

> > > ********
> > >
> > > No story no pain.
> >
> > Bull. The story is that there has to be a story.
>
> Attachment to attachment.

I'm going to expand upon this, trying to speak as Rory
does to the enlightened being that is Judy rather than
the person who is going to interpret my three words
above as a slam.

They're not. They're a direct commentary on what I see as
the real issue here. Rory (if I have interpreted his words
correctly) seems to be saying that the "pain" of feeling
"hurt" when someone tells you the truth is not your pain.
It's not even pain. It's the death struggles of an ego
trying to assert itself and survive. It's nothing more than
a shadow that is growing darker as the light shining on
it becomes brighter.

The "pain" of feeling bad because someone tells you
the truth about realization IS, as far as I can tell, just a
story. And the story is fiction. You seem to be trying to
make a case for the story being "real," just because
you feel it. In these discussions, Rory has been telling
you that you are free, and you have been asserting, over
and over, that he is mistaken and that you are not.

Your *stories* are what are imprisoning you, Judy. You
are like a person pacing back and forth in a tiny jail
cell, the bars of which keep you from walking into the
world of freedom and liberation that you glimpse through
the bars and that you read about in the works of those
who have "broken out of prison" before you.

What I think Rory is trying to say is that the bars of your
jail cell don't exist. They are just a hologram, an image
of a jail cell that has no real existence. The bars have
no substance. The only thing that keeps you in place
within the cell and keeps you from walking into the
world of liberation is your *idea* that the cell is
real, that the "bars" are real.

For now, in my opinion, you seem to be terribly attached
to the cell being real. You don't even try to rattle the bars
or to examine them to see if they're real. You already
"know" that they're real. Anyone who says differently is
obviously fucking with you. So what you do when some-
one tells you that the bars aren't real is to try to make the
person who's telling you the truth feel bad about telling
you the truth. You try to make the person who has caused
you "pain" feel pain himself.

You talk about pain...well, I'll tell you...this whole process
is more than a little painful to watch.

The attachment I see here is your attachment to things
as they have been for your whole life. You've learned
to cope with things the way they've been for your whole
life. In your own words, you've "developed a thick skin."
You've learned to ignore any information that seems
contrary to the way things have been for your whole life.
You say, "The bars are real; the cell is real; I really *am*
a prisoner here, and I resent you who have tasted free-
dom telling me that the reality I see around me *isn't*
real." The attachment, in other words, is to attachment
itself, to the status quo that you have developed a thick
skin about, to nothing ever really changing.

The cell isn't real. The bars don't really exist. One day
you're going to get tired of trying to intellectually under-
stand enlightenment and just go for enlightenment. One
day you're going to forget your self and its attachments
and just start walking. And when you do, you'll find
yourself outside the cell. It'll surprise the shit out of you.
You'll probably walk back and look at it, just to see if
it was real all this time. You'll reach out and touch the
"bars" and your hand will go right through them, as if
they weren't there. They weren't there. All that was
ever there was your *story* about the bars, your sad,
sad tale of being stuck in jail, unjustly.

You'll realize that there was never anything you could
DO to escape from jail, because you were never in it
in the first place. There IS no doing when it comes to
escaping from the imaginary prison of self.

I hope for your sake that this happens soon. I know that
it'll happen, in spite of your self's efforts to keep it from
happening. That's the magic of self realization -- even
the self can't keep itself from realization.