> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> >
> > The other day glancing though the usual posts on this list
> > I noted someone saying that MMY was crazy and the debate
> > aside whether he is enlightened was thinking about whether
> > a crazy person could be enlightened?  I vote yes because
> > craziness is a relative state of mind and even though many
> > here have been "programmed" to believe that in enlightenment
> > the external behavior would appear super sane I don't
> > believe that is necessarily the case at all.
>
> Rack up another vote for crazy + enlightened here.
> Having spent some time with the Rama guy and
> around a couple of Crazy Wisdom teachers, I don't
> see any incompatibility between being enlightened
> and being clinically crazy as a loon. IMO the two
> things are as compatible as being a redhead and
> being enlightened would be -- the one doesn't have
> anything to do with the other.

FWIW, MMY said that inside mental institutions may be a number of
spiritually advanced persons. The implication from the context was,
IMO, that while the persons were not (necessarily) crazy, they acted
in wyas seen as crazy by "normal" standards.

Parallel to this -- Ramakrishna being "crazy" in his devotion to Kali.

And SRSS said at timeswhen he was growing spritually, he felt "crazy"
-- partly because peers did not have the same experience.