> On Jul 30, 2007, at 11:34 PM, authfriend wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis"
> > <reavismarek@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Vaj, first of all, though Maharishi was snubbing
> > > tradition in his willingness to leave the yamas
> > > and niyamas of Patanjali out of his teachings and
> > > techniques, it was that revolutionary aspect of his
> > > teaching that brought even the idea of meditation
> > > into the Western world and made it part of popular
> > > Western culture.
> >
> > It's also inherent in MMY's insight about the
> > technique itself.
>
> Insight? Oh puhleeze.
>
> > If transcendence is indeed
> > effortless,
>
> You must have missed the previous conversations on how
> "effortlessness" is defined in the Patanjali system.

You mean, your *interpretation* of same.

In any case, what I'm talking about here is what
MMY believes, not what you believe.

 If there is
> support (Skt.: Alambana), there is effort.
>
> > it's easy to see how, as MMY claims,
> > the steps on Patanjali's eight-fold path became
> > reversed, with transcendence held to be the
> > effect of mastery of the yamas and niyamas
> > rather than the cause.
>
> Yes and maybe if we read the Lord's Prayer backwards
> we'll find Jesus quicker.
>
> Jaundiced-eyed Judy reports: the world is yellow.

Lame-o.

> > If that insight about effortlessness, and the
> > understanding of how to "teach" it, is lost,
>
> But it's clearly evident that it never was lost. Reams of
> commentaries provide textual testimony that it was indeed never
> "lost". Oral traditions agrees.

It was lost in the implementation.

> However, having reviewed the comments and finding their
> conclusions experientially sound,

Who having reviewed them? Your syntax is falling apart.

 it's clear Mahesh was either 'making it up as
> he went along' or simply distorting tradition all along. I bet the
> fact that he claimed he was restoring the purity of the tradition
> actually fooled you.

That's what he believes, and it makes sense to me,
intellectually and experientially.

> > then
> > transcendence becomes *difficult*, and if it's
> > difficult, practitioners need all the help they
> > can get. This must be what mastery of the yamas
> > and niyamas is for, goes the reasoning: to make
> > it less difficult to transcend.
> >
> > Given his very different understanding, of course
> > MMY would not have taught mastery of the yamas
> > and niyamas as a prerequisite to samadhi, even to
> > the most religiously devoted Hindu practitioners;
> > it would have been counterproductive, in his view.
> > He wasn't "snubbing" the yamas and niyamas, he was
> > putting them in what he believed to be their proper
> > context.
>
> If the prerequisites of samadhi are not met, even if you round a
> thousand years, you will never attain samadhi.

However, according to MMY, as you know, there are
no "prerequisites" of samadhi, other than not
exerting effort to attain it.

> Given that we have no reliable scientific data on any TMer EVER
> showing signs of samadhi

Signs of samadhi *as defined by Vaj*.

Note that Vaj failed to address any of my points.

 (ability to enter for desired length of