> Also we rented an old mansion on Queen Anne Hill as the band house and
> many folks including the Grateful Dead came to visit.  If you've seen
> the Elvis Seattle World's Fair movie the scene of the fairgrounds and
> Space Needle was taken from the balcony of the house.  We got the
> mansion because the owner wanted to tear it down and put a condo
> there. He figured letting a rock group rent it would get the neighbors
> up in arms and he could get his condo.  He did.  :)

Fun times, eh? I lived in a similar slightly dilapidated
mansion in Riverside for a couple of years during college.
It belonged to the editor of the local newspaper, and he
was trying to get it rezoned for business so he could
tear it down and build something profitable on the same
land, so he let about half a dozen of us hippies live
there for a total rent of 50 bucks a month.

It worked like a charm, we got almost two years of cheap
living space out of the deal, and when the zoning permit
came through he gave us a month to get out of the house.
Since it was going to be torn down anyway, we had a big
party at the end at which every guest was issued a sledge
hammer, and got to whack away at the walls and whatever
they wanted to destroy, just for the fun of it. I walked
away with a small fortune in stained-glass windows from
the place, that would have just been bulldozed if I'd
have left them there.