Turq,

You defended yourself well below, but.....still, I sincerely believe
that you had an emotional reaction to Bronte that seems to have been
just as strong a dynamic in your responses to her as your conceptual
reactions to her thoughts were.  The emotional dynamics of your
reader's attention from Bronte's concepts to Bronte's personality.

If a reader didn't know Bronte, your response to her would be their
first impression of her, and, to some small degree, I stand by my
contention that you were casting her, indeed, as a "yokel lacking
insight and unconcerned about it."  That was my poem about how you
seemed to be coming off -- it was merely my take and I admit it may
not be a "taking" of any sort but could be instead a projection on
your words that comes from my own inner fear of being a yokel.

Sigh.....

I know you are committed to being a wild and free rascal that calls it
like you see it, and "go Turq" sez moi, but I think part of trying to
improve things here is to be extra sensitive to what "damage" might
occur due to insinuations, subtle labeling and innuendos.

Bronte could be what True Believers speak in a hushed tone about -- an
old soul, ya know?  She might be a butterfly that's about to land on
the flowers that bloom in our minds -- a butterfly that will flit off
at the first hint of untowardness.  If so, our loss.

Not that she deserves special privileges but that all of us deserve
special privileges -- we's all gots da tender feelings.  I certainly
see your tender feelings on your sleeves almost all the time.  For
some reason, I like you, and I cut you a break for being irascible,
but as much as I love being a curmudgeon myself, my new
anti-bad-feelings persona forbids me from putting on this particular
mask if I am to wean myself off of my own ad hominem tendencies.

And, to be a sexist about it, there's not enough women posting here,
and, yes, I do want more of their influence here.  I do think women
are quite different from men and see things in ways men know not of,
and I am instructed by them far more often than I would want to admit.
 OTOH, men have a lot to teach too.  Balancing FairfieldLife with more
femmy stuff could be just the ticket.

Edg