Jeff and all,

> If we have this greater consciousness, then I find it unlikely that
> we will fall extinct like other species, such as dinosaurs.  It is
my
> opinion that by the time we have the means and will to destroy the
> planet, we will have the knowledge of being able to escape such
> circumstances.  I believe the end of the cold war was an example of
> being able to escape our demise.

Let's hope so.  Human life is the battleground between good and evil,
as depicted in many wisdom books from all cultures.

> I can understand how the universe would be a form of collective
> consciousness.  However, because it is collective, there are many
> variations that come about...therefore very few absolute
truths...if
> any.  I do not, however, understand how a galaxy could have a
> consciousness.  All definitions of consciousness seem to point to
the
> mind, if even removing the brain from the equation.  Isn't the
> ability to reason a product of consciousness?  Can a rock or a pile
> of rocks reason?  How then could they possibly have a
consciousness?
> The have order and energy, therefore the forces of gravity,
> magnetism, etc.  But isn't that a big leap from physical processes
> that of consciousness?  To say they do is to me the belittlement of
> the greatest of consciousness itself.

The main premise of the unified theory (per Dr. Hagelin) to explain
the origin of the universe is that consciousness is the pervading
link that connects all of life and matter in the universe.  Hence,
all of matter is a form of consciousness.  Supposedly, humans have
the highest degree of consciousness in that we are able to understand
the wholeness of life from the minutest to the largest.

This concept ties in with the vedic idea, from one of the shastras,
that the Divine created the universe and infused Its spirit in all of
creation.

Regards,

John R.

> [...]
> environmental
> > > polution and/or change or the like benefit any other species
> > besides
> > > us?
> >
> > Humans should coexist with nature and not harm or destroy it.
> > Supposedly, humans have the advantage of consciousness, thus are
> > capable of intelligent choice.  Sometimes, we wonder if this is
so
> > since we are bent on killing each other for the sake of a
religious
> > tenet.  For the most part, humans are still ignorant of seeing
the
> > big picture, although there are a few individuals like the rishis
> in
> > the past who understood the wholeness of life.
> >

> > > My take on this is that whatever we do is a natural process.
> > > Everytime we built the next skyscraper or oil drill, what we
are
> > > doing is purely a natural process.  It is no different than
> > termites
> > > building a mound...it's just that our achievements are more
> > > and much bigger.  But we are of nature, so anything we could
> > possibly
> > > do will always be a natural process.  How bold of us to wish we
> > were
> > > above nature...we ARE nature.
> >
> > Very true.  As such, we should use our intelligence to promote
life
> > on earth.  If not, it is possible that humans could blow
themselves
> > up in this planet.  We could be another example of a species that
> > became extinct, like the dinosaurs from the past.
> >
> > Then, what specie would qualify for having the highest
> intelligence?
> > The dolphins?  Ants?  Is it possible for them to develop
> > consciousness like humans on earth millions of years from now?
> >
> > It seems to me that the uniqueness of being human is that we are
> able
> > to make a choice through introspection, or consciousness and
> > intelligence.  Hence, it appears to me that this is the highest
> > development that any living form can make in Nature.  For the
most
> > part, the rest of the living forms on earth operate on an
automatic
> > mode, through the mechanics of the gunas.
> >

> > > And from what I see in the universe is that without life,
systems
> > are
> > > pretty much random and chaotic.  It takes like to create
order.
> > And
> > > as far as lifeforms on one planet being able to impact those on
> > > another, I doubt it...unless they advance to intelligent beings
> and
> > > travel to the next planet in order to disrupt the balance there.
> >
> > For most people, it seems cool to think and say what the latest
> > scientific guru is saying about the nature of the universe.
Hence,
> > we hear terms like "chaos theory" and the "absurd" being applied
> > explain the origin of life.  However, the vedic rishis have
thought
> > that the entire universe is a form of consciousness in one way or
> > another.
> >
> > Our neighboring galaxy is a form of consciousness, so are the
stars
> > and planets that exist in the universe.  They are not life forms
> like
> > humans.  But they do have structure and order.  If one
understands