Purportedly Ganesh is the remover of obstacles and rules the first
Chakra or the Muladhara Chakra. Hence obeisance must be paid to the
one God or deity, in this form in order to progress and be successful
in Yoga especially when it comes to awakening the serpent fire
(kundalini).

Generally I think the meaning is that unless we act in accord with
natural law, which are the laws of God or Deity we will not be
successful.  Once we come into harmony (pay obeisance) with these laws
we ride with the flow of dharma or right-eousness to our goal.

"'Dharma' is that invincible power of nature which upholds existence."

"Our life moves backwards and forwards automatically as WE direct it,
under the influence of Dharma."

MMY/Gita

http://www.ganesh.us/