> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Anyway, if you care about not going over the limit,
> > > a good text editor is a great way to achieve this.
> >
> > But as I said to start with, if you're not *obsessive*
> > about going over the limit by a few posts, Yahoo's
> > Search is likely to be as close as a hand-tally.
>
> care
> Pronunciation: 'ker
> Function: noun
> Etymology: Middle English, from Old English caru; akin
> to Old High German kara lament, Old Irish gairm call,
> cry, Latin garrire to chatter
> 1 : suffering of mind : GRIEF
> 2 a : a disquieted state of mixed uncertainty, apprehension,
> and responsibility b : a cause for such anxiety
> 3 : painstaking or watchful attention
> 4 : regard coming from desire or esteem
>
> I think that you're relating to definitions 1 and 2.
> Zennists and nerds might relate to definition 3. I
> relate to definition 4. What you call obsession I
> call etiquette.

But as I said, the point of the limit, as I understand
it, is to keep people from making a number of posts
per week that some feel have the effect of monopolizing
the conversation. It's a little difficult to argue that
40 posts per week constitutes such a monoply, but 35
posts does not.

It seems to me that as long as folks keep reasonably
close to the arbitrary number of 35, the purpose of
the limit is being served.

In other words, "care" in definition 4, in my view,
should not require keeping to the arbitrary number of
35; "etiquette" is satisfied by respecting the
purpose of the limit, which is not to do what some
feel has the effect of monopolizing the conversation.

In that context, focusing on the arbitrary number of
35 to the point where one accuses those who go over
it by a few posts of being out of control, not
respecting the community, feeling that they are so
"special" that the rules don't apply to them, etc.,
amounts to obsession and fulfills the criteria for
definitions 1 and 2.

In contrast, the purpose of the current guideline
concerning personal attacks is to eliminate all
such attacks, not to limit them to an arbitrary
number. Repeatedly launching personal attacks in the
face of the guideline is equivalent to ignoring the
posting limit entirely and as such is a gross
violation of etiquette, demonstrating lack of self-
control, lack of respect for the community, feeling
that one is so "special" that the rules don't apply
to one, etc.

To obsess about others going over the posting limit
by a few posts while repeatedly flouting the guideline
barring personal attacks would seem to indicate, at
best, confusion over the very nature of community
rules and one's obligation to observe them, as well
as a seriously deficient sense of proportionality.