What is life?  It is the flash of the firefly in the night.
  It is the breath of the buffalo in the winter time.
  It is the little shadow which runs across the
  grass and loses itself in the sunset."
  ~Blackfoot~
  (On his death bed, 1890)

  "Trace your walk...Feel satisfaction in knowing the
  end of the rainbow you have looked for can be found
  at the toe of your moccasin after realizing who
  we are... and what we have."
  ~John "Eagle Spirit" Campbell, Chief~

  "...I am getting old and have witnessed for many years your increase  in
wealth and power while the steady consuming decline of my tribe admonishes me
that extinction is inevitable."
  ~ Waun-na-con ~ a.k.a. John Quinney (Mahican)

  "If a nation, part of a nation, or more than one nation within ten Five
Nations should in any way endeavor to destroy the Great Peace by neglect or
violating its laws and resolve to dissolve the peace, such a nation or such a
nations shall be deemed guilty of treason and called enemies of the League and
the great Peace."
  ~ The Peacemaker ~

  "All the historic policies that forced, pressured, and exploited Indians did
not succeed in ending the separateness of Indians."
  ~ Carter Blue Clark ~ (Creek)

  "...will you explain to me that which I cannot understand? Why do the white
people want to stop our dances and our songs? Why do they trouble us? Why do
they interfere with what can harm them not? What ill did we do to any white man
when we dance"
  ~ Lololomai ~ (Hopi)

  "We used to stand there and look at the stars and cry to the Thunders...We
used to sing and scatter tobacco, standing there and watching the stars and
moon."
  ~ Mountain Wolf Woman ~ (Winnebago)

  "...hereafter only Earthmaker shall I regard as holy. I will make no more
offerings of tobacco. I will not use any more tobacco.  I will not smoke and I
will not chew tobacco. I have no further interest in these."
  ~ Mountain Wolf Woman ~ (Winnebago)

  "You cannot harm me, you cannot harm one who has dreamed a dream like mine."
  ~ Dakota Prayer Song ~

  ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure
it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
  ~ Mourning Dove ~ Salish   1888-1936

    ELLY,MistyLeaf,Elisi Eli& SunniD

  May the stars carry your sadness away,
May the flowers fill your heart with beauty,
May hope forever wipe away your tears,
And, above all, may silence make you strong.
      Chief Dan george