On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, FK wrote:

> All these problems with the Arabic script makes me a believer in
> changing our alphabet to a Latin-based one and getting rid of all these
> unnecessary headaches :-)

The whole point is: all other languages have similiar problems, including
those written in Latin. The main difference, is usually that there is not
enough market for Persian abilities in software.

Just some examples: Swedish sorts 'v' and 'w' as one letter. Turkish and
Azeri have different capitalization rules than the other languages, since
they have two different 'i's. Slovak treats 'ch' as a single letter sorted
between 'c' and 'd'. Hungarian sorts 'czz' as it were 'czcz'. French needs
a ligated 'oe' letter, which does not even exist in ISO-8859-1, ...

IMHO, the Latin script will not solve the problems, it just adds another
complexity dimension.

roozbeh