On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 19:03, Masoud Sharbiani wrote:
> I was wondering whether it is possible to write in Farsi (unicode),
> under redhat 8 or redhat 9, has anyone ever done this?

You can write Persian in GNOME, KDE, and Mozilla with late version of
Red Hat, althought with different levels of support. XFree86 also has a
keyboard layout called 'ir' for the Iranian Standard ISIRI 2901:1994.
glibc also has a Persian locale, allowing Persian special sorting (like
proper handling of Hamza), localized digits output, and things like
that.

Of course the level of support in Red Hat 9 is a little higher (fixed
more bugs, etc). The major problem seems to be free and
Unicode-compatible fonts. To my best knowledge, no Persian font exists
that passes that criteria.

roozbeh