On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Stéphane Letz <l...@grame.fr> wrote:

> 2) We think begin able to define how to control Faust program polyphonic
> instruments would be really useful. Sampo Savolainen YC 20 (
> http://code.google.com/p/foo-yc20/)  is a good example of a pure
> polyphonic instrument where the MIDI mapping with MIDI note numbers and
> controllers in completely "hard-coded" . It would help to precisely define
> how polyphonic instruments controls could be coded in the Faust source.

I'm not sure how foo-yc20 does it exactly, but in general you don't really
want to hard-code your tuning logic into your Faust programs, do you? In
many cases it's much better to confine that kind of magic to the
architecture, where you can adjust the voice allocation and the tuning
logic to whatever you want/need. That's the way it was done it in lv2synth
and vsti-poly, the rationale being that you can just write a comparatively
simple monophonic instance of your synth controlled by freq/gain/gate and
let the architecture do all the rest.

Of course, I realize that there are applications such as the foo organ or
in general some advanced physical modelling instruments where you might
want to specify an entire polyphonic instrument in Faust, including the
tuning logic. I'm happy with some more elaborate standard which facilitates
that. But IMHO it shouldn't rule out the simpler freq/gain/gate model,
which, I'd dare say, suffices for the majority of polyphonic instruments
you may want to program in Faust.

Or maybe I totally misunderstood what you're getting at? ;-)

3) What should we need to specify also?

> [midi:pitchbend XX]

Here are a few things that are implemented in lv2synth:

- all notes/sounds/controllers off (controllers 120, 123, 121)

- RPNs 0 (pitch bend range), 1 (channel fine tuning) and 2 (channel coarse
tuning)

- support for the MIDI Tuning Standard (MTS)

I consider these rather essential. There might be a few more along these
lines, though. E.g., lv2synth currently only implements octave-based 1- and
2-byte tunings, but of course it would be nice to have support for all the
other types of MTS tuning messages as well.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Email:  aggr...@gmail.com