Folks,

It seems that the serial composition operator, : , is either broken or has
changed since I last used it in my Faust code during 2009. Code that was
once used to generate svg blocks, c++ , pd, and a vst now throws an error
in both FaustLive and in my current, offline Faust compiler, Ver-0.9.67. I
narrowed it down to a problem with the serial operator.

Instead of referring to my own complex code, I've created a small example
that illustrates the problem. The following dsp will generate an svg from
the old Faust :

a = _, _;
b = _;
test = a : b;
process = test;

Both the FaustLive and the offline Faust compiler, Ver-0.9.67, throw the
following error:

“Error in sequential composition (A:B)
The number of outputs (2) of A = _,_ must be equal to the number of inputs
(1) of B : _”

In contrast, here's a quote from Yann Orlarey's “A Faust Tutorial,” Chapt.
3, Sect 3.1, Serial:

“The remaining inputs or outputs are directly used as inputs or outputs of
the resulting block-diagram.”

Now, however, it seems that instead of rerouting unused outputs, the
operator demands an exact match between inputs and outputs.

Here's a link to a copy of the svg generated from my example by the older
version of Faust,V-0.9.9.4d:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sgnprgozbxz4ob/process.svg

Note the resemblance to the diagram on pg. 22 of the above-referenced
tutorial.

Any ideas?

Robert Hamilton

seedpress