Hi all - after a few years hiatus, I am back at Faust, and I am happy for the
many improvements :) First I am trying to re-learn Faust and ChucK, before
updating my code to conform to the new libraries, etc., and found some problems:

I Installed:
OSX High Sierra (10.13.6)
faust-2.20.2.tar.gz (LLVM 3.16)
FaustLive-2.5.0-osx.dmg
Latest libs (master): from https://github.com/grame-cncm/faustlibraries
<https://github.com/grame-cncm/faustlibraries>

1. COMPILATION SWITCHES
I set the FL Compilation option to “-l <path-to-old-style-libs>, to run my old
.dsps. However, I got a message “ERROR : input in flex scanner failed” (btw,
I’m aware of the conversion script for dsps, but I’d rather update them by hand
and know exactly what I did) .

To see if the problem was with using old libraries or the new FL, I tried to
run a built-in FL example. It ran fine without any switches, but when I set “-l
<path-to-new-style-libraries>”, I get the same error message above.

As a workaround, I just put a copy of the old .lib files in
~/.FaustLive-Current-Session-2.0, and that worked fine with my old dsps (after
fixing the old effect.lib).

(a) Is there an issue with the switch, or am I using it wrong (?)
(b) From where does FL populate ~/.FaustLive-Current-Session-2.0?

2. VERSION #s in LIBS
The “declare version #s” of the new-style .lib files that got installed by
faust 2.20.2 in /usr/local/share/faust/faustLibs, and those that FL2.5.0 put in
~/.FaustLive-Current-Session-2.0/Libs are identical. Yet, many of the former
.libs are newer, and have updated code and comments. Furthermore, the latest
.lib, in the master repository, have way more changes, but only a few have had
their version changed.

Even when their functionality may be identical (which I don’t know), may I
suggest  that going forward a 3rd number be added to the .lib files versions?
It would have the form <version.major.minor>, and would change as follows:

<version #>
anything that alters compatibility with existing dsps (whether naming, function
signature, etc).
<major #>
anything that alters function (including bug fixes)
<minor #>
(a) any change in comments (no matter how small), or
(b) any “clarity code changes” (not intended to alter behavior in any way).

3. LIBS NAMESPACE
It’s nice that the new .lib files have names that mostly don’t collide with the
old library names. Is there a reason not to do the same for hoa.lib and
maxmsp.lib?

4. FL PULLDOWNS
If I close all FL windows, most pulldown menus vanish, and I can’t use ^N nor
File > Open. So to open a new window I have to quit and restart FL.

Thanks for any comments!
—Dan