Greetings,

It sounds like there is a bug.  The bilinear transform preserves stability,
but it can get into trouble with "delay-free loops" when there is feedback
around what is transformed.

Nowadays, I would digitize an analog circuit using Jatin Chowdhury's latest
code, e.g.,

https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/KlonCentaur.git
https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/wdf-bakeoff

(It's still using bilinear transforms, but element by element, for the most
part, resolving delay-free loops using Wave Digital Filter ideas)

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 6:13 AM Jean Pierre Cimalando via Faudiostream-users
<faudiostream-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> recently I implemented and published a music plugin with faust [1],
> which implements the digital model of a bass tone circuit.
>
> A problem encountered during this process is the discretization of the
> EQ section, located on the bottom part of the schematic [2], running
> from C25 to C20 not included.
>
> This circuit describes as a low-frequency peak filter (+ or - gain),
> combined with a high-frequency shelf, parameterized by a pair of coupled
> knobs labelled as bass and treble.
>
> I have produced a program for computing the expression for the analog
> transfer function [3], and applying the bilinear transform.
> While the analog transfer function matches the SPICE results, I observed
> the digital filter does not meet the criterion for stability (that is,
> poles inside the unit circle).
>
> There is faust source code [4], the unstable EQ is replaced with an
> adhoc substitute having a relatively matching transfer function.
>
> Any hints on producing a more valid discretization of this system?
> Thank you very much
>
> [1] https://github.com/jpcima/Bass21
> [2] https://blog-imgs-91-origin.fc2.com/d/r/u/drugscore/02_49_4SABDsch.png
> [3] https://git.io/JcQi5
> [4] https://git.io/JcQPy

"Anybody who knows all about nothing knows everything" -- Leonard Susskind