Hi all,

Not strictly on-topic, but I was wondering if anyone on here could shed some
light on a conversation I'm having:

In the case of a compilation album (eg. 'Greatest Hits of the 60s', 'Now
That's What I Call Generic Chart Pop 2006') is there a copyright in the
compilation itself, as well as those that exist in the tracks it uses?

And, if so, is this a copyright on the new compilation 'sound recording' as
a derivative work of the tracks it includes, or a right to the rather more
abstract notion of the selection and order of those tracks, rather than in
any specific instance of that selection manifested in a sound recording?

any input would be greatly appreciated...

cheers!

Tim