Eric Auer wrote:

>Hi,
>this WAS a problem.

And still can be if you have a broad-band connection.

>I remember that 8 years ago, configuring
>a modem for Linux was hard. Now even DSL is just a few clicks
>away with the right distro, maybe even easier than with Windows.

DSL is only "a few clicks away" if you have an Ethernet modem, and since USB modems are usually cheaper, and easier to install in a newer computer (no need to open up the computer to add an Ethernet card), most people will use a USB modem. And it is definately NOT easier to install an xDSL modem that Linux can use quickly, as that would be an Ethernet modem, and that means buying an Ethernet card, opening the computer to install it, etc. And even the USB modems that have working drivers for Linux aren't necessarily *easy* to configure properly under Linux (my own USB modem has 3rd party drivers for Linux, but the drivers don't work under every distro, even those distros with supported kernels!).