Hi,
according to:
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/nansi/
there are NANSI and NNANSI, but they are shareware
(if you are a commercial user, you must register,
and if you are a noncommercial user, you SHOULD register
NNANSI, but not NANSI, to support the author), as far
as I understand.

What FREEWARE ANSI would you currently recommend?
The .doc are text, but the server calls them Winword,
so do not worry :-). I had looked it up because Day Brown
was looking for resize commands.

For Linux xterm, use:
echo -e '\e[8;43;132t\n'
or use:
resize -s 43 132

For Linux console:
you must be root and use SVGATextMode, I believe.

For DOS ANSI: You can only use BIOS modes.
For DOS NANSI: You can also use VESA modes.
In both cases you can use ESC=3h to set mode 3, and so on,
for VESA you must subtract 128 from the mode number, eg.
use ESC=138h to set VESA 132x43 TEXT mode with NANSI.

You can also use MODE in some cases. And you can use INT 10
directly, of course (or use debug to write a 10 byte .com
program that you can call from whereever you like, of course).

If you have other ideas that work better / for other operating
systems or modes, please tell the list. I would say it is best
to use curses or to use ANSI escapes (color setting is the same
for DOS and Linux, but graphics characters need additional escapes
for Linux vt100 / xterm, and size setting works completely different).

For use from a batch or script file, I would say it is best to parse
or prepare your text so that colors use ANSI: You can use the text
for both Linux and DOS. Only the size setting has to be done in different
ways (and you have to translate graphics chars for use in Linux, if you
want to use them...).

http://rtfm.etla.org/xterm/ctlseq.html
and
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/nansi/