Nicu Buculei wrote:
Máirín Duffy wrote:
Nicu Buculei wrote:
I admit of being lazy and not testing myself (it would require a reboot of my computer :p ), the theming overview page list 256 colors for GRUB and cites a source (http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LG/current/jayanth.html) which source states 14 colors.

I changed it to 256 colors last week. It originally said 14 but Diana told me it was really 256.

I know you modified it by looking at the editing history so I assumed you know more about the subject than me. In the meantime I tried a 256 colors image and it was displayed using a wrong color palette.

It would be useful to have 256 colors, as I can easily see the dithering in this image and probably a 256 colors image will not have the problem: http://people.redhat.com/dfong/fc6reGraphics/MolaBranch/final/fc6grub-splash.png

note: even with visible dithering, I think this is a very good GRUB splash.

I return with answers. I've been asking various people on the installer team and finally got a concrete answer from Jeremy Katz. "jeremy: iirc, it's 16 colors can be used but an xpm is 256 colors (I remember we had this confusion right before fc5)"

So...
- *GRUB splash is 16 colors* With one black and one white. So you've only really got 14 colors. - Anaconda prompt (aka syslinux-splash) is ALSO 16 colors...One black, one white, AND one red. Which leaves you with 13 other colors.

Diana