On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 06:30:01 -0400, Stephen wrote:

I think he's just talking about clearing up unnecessary duplication
(like with his php-pear example) that confuses the yum dependency checker.

Hmmm? Tom's announcement doesn't mention any such confusion.

Are there really dependencies on directories being used which cause the
depsolver to pull in a wrong package? Dependencies on paths outside /etc
and *bin* ought to be the exception, not the rule. In particular, since
they require the optional filelists metadata to be downloaded and parsed.

I've recently cleaned up some wrong ownership of %_libdir/pkgconfig/, but
in general I think Tom should rather help with fixing unowned directories
and implicit conflicts instead. ;)

This is not so much about yum, but about possibly enabling rpm to use the directory hierarchy for additional hints in transaction ordering (and general sanity, ownership of eg translation-related directories is a huge mess without a good reason): https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2009-June/msg00059.html

There are several complications that need to be resolved somehow before it's possible in practise though.

        - Panu -