On 09/04/2009 12:51 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 10:53:19AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

The problem I have is that some folks want to include additional drivers
into their initrd. What are we going to recommend for this case? I know
one can still build a kernel-specific version, but I fear that this
results in many users having no benefit of the generic image because
it'll not contain the additional bits they needed to add.

Isn't the point of the new infrastructure that we can provide multiple
initramfs modules that will all end up in the filesystem on boot? Users
who want to add drivers could do it even more easily than they currently
can.

I am skeptical that we are ready for this. Not all non-x86 boot loaders are capable of handling multiple initrd's, and various types of netboot wont do it either. This is a very late time to rely upon such a new feature for something this important.

Warren