Mike Bonnet wrote:
On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 18:09 -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 10:09 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
Mike Bonnet wrote:
On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 09:56 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
With autovacuum on do we still have to run the nightly vacuum jobs?
We'll have to keep an eye on the heavily-updated tables, but autovacuum
combined with the max_fsm_pages increase should remove the need for the
nightly vacuums.
Sounds good, I'll leave them in the cron.d file but comment them out and mention why.

We probably want to change to a monthly maintenance schedule where we
run a vacuum full on the dbs.

If things are configured correctly, postgres 8.1 should never require a
full vacuum.  Dead tuples get garbage-collected by the auto-vacuum
process and the space is reused for new tuples.  I'd rather avoid a
window where all access to tables is locked out by the vacuum full.

I also noticed that shmmax hasn't been increased from the default
(32MB).  Do we need to do that to match the shared cache buffer (512MB)?

$ /sbin/sysctl  kernel.shmmax
kernel.shmmax = 33554432

Yes, there's a note about that in the diff.  It needs to get changed or
postgresql won't start with the modified config.

I'm going to try to get these changes into the db tonight.

   -Mike