Hi Tom, welcome to the Fedora Community! Thanks for introducing yourself
on the mailing list. My reply is in-line below:

On 8/15/20 12:38 AM, Shehroz Kaleem wrote:

> 15.08.2020, 05:01, "Tom Collins" <tcoll...@teratux.com>:
>     First of all, I just want to say a MASSIVE thank you to the people
>     over on
>     #fedora-join. I joined a few days back, just watching to get my
>     bearings,
>     and when I plucked up the courage to message, I was met by "We would
>     love
>     to counsel you the way forward." THIS made me feel at ease straight
>     away,
>     and a great welcome to the Fedora family. Massive kudos to both alciregi
>     and shehroz on the IRC channel, you've made my entry to the FOSS
>     world just
>     that bit easier!

Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you appreciated a warm welcome. :)

>     This of course will help build on my current SysAdmin skill set,
>     which is
>     admittedly built on the bubble of in-house procedures and tools we have
>     (something I want to change!), as well as learning how the
>     infrastructure
>     of a large FOSS organisation keeps millions of devices and users
>     working!

One of the "bread and butter" tasks in Fedora is RPM packaging. RPM
packaging is useful to get a practical understanding of how a Linux
distribution comes together. It also gives some insight into challenges
faced by other people who use Fedora or a derivative distro.

>     Having been in the IRC channels for the last few days, it would be
>     great to
>     help with the documentation side of things as well, as it's always a
>     challenge in all the teams I have worked in to keep it up to date and
>     relevant, and makes a great way to learn how an infrastructure works :)

If you have not already, I suggest joining the Fedora Docs team mailing
list and a chat room (Freenode IRC (#fedora-docs), Matrix, or Telegram):

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/admin/lists/docs.lists.fedoraproject.org/

    https://telegram.me/fedora_docs

>     I'm sorry this has ended up being a bit of a ramble! I hope it starts to
>     make sense the more I get introduced to the project more and get my
>     teeth
>     stuck in. Glad for any advice that you all have on potential directions,
>     and how to get started.

Looking forward to seeing you around. :-)

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory (he/him)