(Adding Panu to the Cc)

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
"MD" == Matt Domsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

MD> [...] there's no ordering guarantee between the two such that we
MD> know kernel-devel is always installed before kernel.

It should be possible to have kernel-devel have Requires(post): kernel
or use some other type of fine-grained dependency to guarantee some
sort of ordering.

That doesn't guarantee the right thing -- it's inverted. It makes it so that before kernel-devel's %post runs, kernel must be installed. What Matt needs is a guarantee that kernel-devel is installed (if it will be installed at all) before kernel's %post runs. Right now the only way to do that is for kernel to require(post): kernel-devel, which is obviously not something we want to do.

We've definitely mentioned that non-dependency ordering tags are an rpm wishlist item in the past. Maybe Panu has some thoughts on this?

--
  Peter