[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Sigh, getting rather tired of all these IT and Security GURUs telling us how
> we need to configure our systems all the time. Look, I have a machine that is
> UNATTENDED and uses a WIRELESS connection. The gnome keyring PREVENTS me from
> using the machine in this role. This machine must auto login and it must
> connect to the wireless net to work. The nearest user is about 20 miles away
> so there is NO login password and NO ONE to enter one. So, can't we just turn
> the damn gnome keyring OFF?? Sorry if I offend, but I am really fed up with
> this problem!

[ Hitting carriage return once every 70 chars or so would have made this
  much easier to read. -wsr]

There are two ways to get the wireless up and running.  One is the
new-fangled Network(Mis)Manager and the other is the older
wpa_supplicant.  You might try turning off NetworkManager, turning on
networking and wpa_supplicant and adding your wifi sid and password to
wpa_supplicant.config .

chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig networking on
chkconfig wpa_supplicant on

Run system-config-network and fill in the addresses or select the dhcp
settings.

Add your SID and passwor to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.
Mine (minus real sid and password) is below.

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=10
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="NySID"
        psk=MySekretKey
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK        # assuming you use WPA2
        pairwise=CCMP
        priority=10
}

Then reboot and watch the services start being mindful or the red FAIL
messages.

wpa_gui is a nice tool once wpa_supplicant is running to check signal
strengths and which SIDs are within reach.  You can also forcefully
disconnect from one net and select another if you are within a few
AP's and need to find the most reliable one to configure in.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.