On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 19:24 -0500, Michael Comperchio wrote:

> Well... I removed completely
>
> xine-lib-extras-freeworld k3b-extras-freeworld gstreamer-ffmpeg
>
> this allowed the yum update to complete. At this point I still had the atrpms
>  being included. Once someone suggested suggested that I probably have
> conflicting repos I revisited the atrpms repo and removed it. But I'm now not
> able to reinstall the above packages. I'm not really hip to what all the
> different packages do, so can't decide if I'm really missing something :)
> But, like all good geeks, I'd like to not leave this issue unresolved. So...
> [mich...@merlin ~]$ yum repolist
> Loaded plugins: protectbase, refresh-packagekit
> repo id                                     repo name
>                              status
> adobe-linux-i386                            Adobe Systems Incorporated
>                              enabled:     17
> fedora                                      Fedora 10 - i386
>                              enabled: 11,416
> google                                      Google - i386
>                              enabled:      2
> rpmfusion-free                              RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Free
>                              enabled:    324
> rpmfusion-free-updates                      RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Free -
> Updates                      enabled:    256
> rpmfusion-nonfree                           RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 -
> Nonfree                             enabled:    142
> rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                   RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 -
> Nonfree - Updates                   enabled:    154
> updates                                     Fedora 10 - i386 - Updates
>                              enabled:  2,694
> repolist: 15,005
> [mich...@merlin ~]$
> I do appreciate the help guys, this kind of support from the user community
> is a BIG reason to keep using Linux, and Fedora. Now if only I could remember
> /figure out how to have unique backgrounds on my different workspaces.
----
seems to me that

yum install xine-lib-extras-freeworld \
 k3b-extras-freeworld \
 gstreamer-ffmpeg

would work based upon the above repos being enabled so I have to wonder
if protectbase is stopping it. I'm not a user of protectbase and I
somewhat think that plugins such as protectbase cause problems that
users aren't capable of solving.

I also don't know anything at all about yum-presto which is near the top
of the recommendations (I only breezed the fedoraguide.info page) and I
also wonder if that is useful and doubt its necessity.

You might try disabling protectbase to get the above installed because I
think with just those repositories, protectbase isn't needed. If you add
a repository with clashes (i.e. atrpms), then perhaps protectbase or
maybe even the priorities plugin would be useful but again, these
plugins can make updating a problem without much explanation.

Craig