Thanks Tim Waugh,
  This worked first try, great!

Joe

 On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 10:53 +0000, Joe Feely wrote:
 I use a Dell 1720 laser printer 13 miles away (when I visit there), with
 no IN connection.

 Here's a user-contributed openprinting.org entry for that device (I
 think):
 http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Dell-1720dn

 It looks like you have two main options: PCL and PostScript.  CUPS in
 Fedora 12 already comes with drivers for both of these languages so it
 shouldn't be too hard to set up.  It won't be automatic though, as far
 as I can tell.  This is because that device is not specifically listed
 as being supported by any of the main printer drivers.

 How can I "install the required driver" while at home, from which I have
 access to the IN (and the CD I installed from, though I've no handy
 means of using this where the printer is).

 First, make sure you have installed the updates.

 Next, take a look at this entry in the common bugs list:

 https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs#foomatic-not-installed

 As foomatic does contain some additional PCL and PostScript drivers, it
 might be worth installing it.  Better to have it available to try than
 not, especially with no Internet connection on site.

 Also worth installing: gutenprint-cups, which has some PCL drivers of
 its own.

 Once you have all those installed there's not a lot more you can
 usefully do until you have the device connected.  Once you have though
 it should prompt you to select a driver for it, presuming it's a USB
 device.  Otherwise:

 System->Administration->Printing

 Click New

 The printer should already be shown and selected; if not, select the
 connection type (e.g. LPT #1 or whatever).  Click Next.

 Select Generic for the manufacturer. (PCL and PostScript are standard
 languages supported by many different manufacturers, and as I said
 earlier there is no driver with specific support for this model.)  Click
 Forward.

 Select PCL Laser Printer (this is the CUPS PCL driver), for example.
 Click Forward, and follow the rest of the on-screen instructions.

 It will ask you whether to print a test page -- do this.  If it doesn't
 work, double-click on the printer icon in the printer configuration
 window and click the 'Change...' button next to 'Make and Model:', and
 try another driver.

 Tim.

--
Joe Feely

Joseph, Sandra, Shanah&  Keirah Feely

17 Brook Street
Blaenrhondda
Treorchy
Rhondda Cynon Taff
Wales
CF42 5SB
Tel 01443 773 991

{alternative email addresses (if needed)
josephmfe...@hotmail.co.uk or joe.fe...@yahoo.co.uk}

See www.mormon.org

I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!
http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=2442

Not so important - unless you want to save some money, have a look at
http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
(this site will find landline and / or freephone number
alternatives to 0870 and 0845 numbers (most times if not always).