On 12/19/2009 03:27 AM, fedora-list-requ...@redhat.com wrote:
Re: Tar oddity...
From:
Chris <rac...@makeworld.com>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:16:47 -0600

To:
fedora-list@redhat.com

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:47:26 +0100
DB<freddog...@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

>  On 12/18/2009 01:23 PM,fedora-list-requ...@redhat.com  wrote:
>  >  Subject:
>  >  Re: Tar oddity...
>  >  From:
>  >  Ralf Corsepius<rc040...@freenet.de>
>  >  Date:
>  >  Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:28:09 +0100
>  >
>  >  To:
>  >  "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora."
>  >  <fedora-list@redhat.com>
>  >
>  >
>  >  On 12/17/2009 11:51 PM, DB wrote:
>  >>  Hi All,
>  >>
>  >>  I've just (re)installed F12 on my laptop,&  tried to copy my home
>  >>  directory (F11) from my desktop using tar.
>  >>
>  >>  The create went OK,&  I can do tar tvh on the desktop no probs.
>  >>  But when I connect the external drive to the laptop, tar tvh says
>  >>  it's closing because of previous errors; ark refuses to open
>  >>  the .tar.gz file as it has errors.
>  >
>  >  Please show us the actual error message. You are not providing
>  >  sufficient details to be able to help.
>  >
>  >  Ralf
>  >
>  Hi Ralf,
> > ark puts up a dialog box
>  reading the archive "xxxx.tar.gz"
>  failed with the error
>  'The archive reading failed with message: Damaged tar archive'
> > and tar tvf reads 45 entries and then > > tar: skipping to next header
>        tar: exiting with failure status due to previous errors
> > but doesn't say what previous errors! > > TIA > > Dave >
Why not use tar -zxvf xxx.tar.gz unless, its just xxx.tar, then it
would be tar -xvf xxx.tar

Otherwise, perhaps your archive never finished correctly or is
corrupt. it would be interesting to see the command you used to
create the archive.

-- Best regards, Chris
Hi Chris,

The original command was

tar cvzf F11_Home_Dave_20091217.tar.gz /home/Dave

and the "problem" is that tar tvh F11*gz lists all the files on the F11 desktop, but when the external HDD is transferred to the F12 laptop, tar tvh (and ark) give the errors quoted...

The reason I went with tar tvh was (to try) to check the contents of the file after "open with ark" in Dollphin spat out the errors. I guess that actually trying to extract the files when the table of contents fails would not be any more successful?

Thanks

Dave