Chris Lalancette wrote:
This turns out not to be a problem in practice; the network init scripts
are just fine re-doing all the configuration that the initrd did, it
just takes some time.

There is a problem: I tried this using a static IP address network configuration in the live CD. The network configuration worked, but then the network broke a few minutes later when the original dhclient woke up and screwed around with the eth0 configuration. This caused my P2V transfer to halt some way through.

Of course it's possible to fix even this, but I still maintain that the live CD can be confused by a different network configuration existing at boot than it's expecting (ie. when it's expecting none at all).

Rich.