Harish Pillay 9v1hp wrote:
Gary -

The documentation on 'livecd-iso-to-disk' is pretty thin.
My main [first?] question is once I create such a USB-stick
image, how do I boot it?  Do I have to have a machine with
a BIOS that understands such?

In a word, yes.  Typically, you could set up the BIOS to
attempt to boot from the USB first, then the CDROM, then
the harddisk.

It can also be more complicated than that. For starters, some bioses have an entry (usb-zip?) which will boot from a usb-flash drive if it is formatted in a specific way (see syslinux documentation I think for details).

Also, the bios on one of my systems has a lot of options, and I think one of them actually works, but I need to (re)figure out- USB-HDD/USB-FDD/USB-RMD/USB-ARMsomething....

I agree it would be nice to have a good doc that mentions these things. I'll certainly drop some notes when I re-figure out the above choice (usb-hdd didn't seem to work, but I'm pretty sure one of the others did)

-dmc