Douglas McClendon wrote:
Warren Togami wrote:

I need something similar to boot read-only OS images over PXE boot for LTSP. Upstream LTSP5 uses nbd to serve a raw squashfs image as a network block device, which means only a tiny bit needs to be in the initrd and very little memory overhead. Parts of the read-only image are streamed over the network on demand.

One architecture I've outlined here in the past, but haven't gotten around to implementing yet is-

mount the squashfs via nfs or fuse-httpfs or the like, then otherwise do everything else the same. Then post-boot, allow the user if they wish to migrate the used squashfs either to ram or local disk via the same devicemapper mirror 'trick' I used for rebootless installation.

Then subsequently (or alternately) you can use my rebootless installation technique to convert the LiveOS(network-style) type running OS into a completely normal installed running OS, without even having to reboot. bwahahaha...

I forget the persons name, but I remember someone had already done the first part of that, who posted here and on anaconda-devel within the last year.

Think that was me... I've hacked up anaconda's init to not exit, then call run-init, if the right boot flag is set. Why hack anaconda's init? Because all the network bits are there with a GUI to use to configure the network for nfs or searching for an iso image/cd. Then, if you don't want to type you could use a kickstart file/boot cmdline to set the boot arguments. I'm looking to try a reboot-less install from within anaconda. What I'm looking to do is to install a live(cd) image by anaconda via nfs,hd,cd. Once that is in place, exit anaconda, run-init on the newly cloned install, calling first-boot to configure and customize the rest of the package selection. Does this sound do-able/reasonable?

Jerry