Máirín Duffy wrote:
Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
We've already spend lots of effort getting rid of the widely spread prejudice of being Red Hat's pre-enterprise private little playground project or distribution, and explaining that we're actually a community powered project instead (Yes, sponsored by Red Hat. Yes, upstream to Red Hat's Enterprise Linux product *and proud of it, might I add*).

I'm not even sure we actually did get rid of that prejudice entirely. It may still exist in some people's heads.

Anyway, correctly and fully exposing how Fedora is related to Red Hat, and how that works for both the community and Red Hat, with mere mortals on the one side, and business customers on the other, is way more important then getting the long-term users back on board because they missed out on Red Hat renaming the free/gratis distribution to Fedora, making Red Hat their Enterprise product.

Honestly, I don't think it's our problem someone missed out on all this back in the day. If they're really interested / valuable as contributors, it'll come naturally. If not, it'll still come naturally with the work of our Ambassadors and thanks to other exposure.

Dell has provided Fedora with some resources so we have their logo up in spots, I think on some of the 404 pages and elsewhere, to give them credit for helping Fedora out.

Doesn't Red Hat deserve some kudos for helping Fedora out as well...?

Just to clarify - I don't mean co-branding as putting the Red Hat brand at the same level as the Fedora brand. No way. But listing Red Hat as a sponsor of the project, just as we would list any other sponsor, seems fair and appropriate to me personally.

(full disclosure: I do work for Red Hat, but I wouldn't let that influence an opinion like this)

~m