Hey guys,

It must be the Holidays, I have contacted a dozen or so publishers,
but I am totally not hearing from anyone. Usually these people treat anyone
interested like a ham in the Amazon; with them as the piranha.

Ian Weller wrote:
we can pretty much do anything with the design,
I would like to NOT have to pages with the same layout: one on top, another on
bottom, another on side, another on the other side, maybe another over the
photo... each with its own height or width.

Exactly, we can basically do anything. We can bring web graphics to book-form.
We don't have to use a lot of color; or we can do all color. Color text,
pictures, widgets, borders and shaded areas, superimposed text or thought
bubbles on top of the pictures. And we don't have make it a bound book. We
could do a magazine, or bound magazine sized book. Or think corporate report
type book; some of these are artworks, and of course, executive types are not
going to want to look at Xerox copies. The point is anything you can do on a
rectangular computer screen, you can do on a rectangular book page. Or square,
sans the LOVE Book.

A couple of other considerations:
Release forms: I (not a lawyer) do not think we will need them. Under the Book
version of the Copy Right Laws, there is the Fair Use Exception. One aspect of
it is: if you go to a public event, where it can be reasonably assumed there
will be photographers taking photographs, and you get your picture taken, you
do not have a case. And there is always the quick aural release form, as long
as you have a witness.

Captions under photos: When we use a photo we should note the photographer's
name and try to identify the people in the photo if possible. Captions can be
small text and could be something like: A photo by Mairin Duffy, shows Ian
Weller, at a recent FUDCON, explaining the Anaconda Installer to a crowd of
enthralled passersby. The more names we get into the book the more personal it
will become for the reader.

Ian mentioned, and something we will have to work out is a way or place for
people to submit their photos and stories. We can set up an on line drop (can
we use fpaste for that?) and then send an announcement to all the Red Hat
lists, Open Submission for two weeks or 300 photos, which ever come first.
Someone with expertise will have to handle the logistics on that. Then those of
us listed on the Picture Book wiki ( or any others ), can each choose our
favorites, then meet sometime on #fedora-meeting to hash it out.

Remember, anything I suggest here or anywhere is optional. This should totally
be a team effort with input from everybody

-- w Douglas Berry --
slasher...@fedoraproject.org