Richard,

Can you explain the potential fix?  Chatting with you yesterday it was a
mystery to me why you were seeing this on Felix.

Tom

"Richard S. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
01/22/2007 07:33 PM
Please respond to
felix-dev@incubator.apache.org

felix-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: ClassCircularityError with j9

Chris Custine wrote:
> So this may not have been specific to j9 then?

Yes or no, it is hard to say. The same code executed fine on Sun's JRE,
so it seems like it is JRE implementation specific. Whether one impl is
right or wrong is something that I cannot say, nor can I say for sure
that we wouldn't somehow run into this issue on a Sun JRE either, we
just haven't so far.

So, I am just happy that we have a potential fix. :-)

-> richard

> Chris
>

> On 1/22/07, Richard S. Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Carlos,
>>
>> Sorry it took me a little while to look into this...
>>
>> I think I have uncovered the issue. The short explanation is that it
>> appears Felix was resolving classes when it should not have been.
>>
>> I will look into this some more hopefully tomorrow or Wed (I am
>> traveling tomorrow). I just need to verify what the proper fix
is...then
>> I will commit it to trunk. I expect it will be simple enough that you
>> should be able to back port it to the 0.8.0 release if you don't want
>> use the trunk.
>>
>> I will let you know. Thanks for giving us the feedback.
>>
>> -> richard
>>
>> Carlos Herrando wrote:
>> > Hello!,
>> > I'm Carlos, I'm new in the list.
>> > I'm trying to use Felix in a Pocket PC with the j9 vm and I'm getting
>> > a ClassCircularityError when I start the http bundle. I've put below
>> > the error trace. The funny thing happens when I try to start again
the
>> > bundle, I get the same exception but with another package, and one
>> > more time if you try to start the bundle it runs well. I'm getting
the
>> > same ClassCircularityErrors in other bundles.
>> >
>> > Could somebody help me with this problem?.
>> >

>> > START LEVEL 1
>> >   ID   State         Level  Name
>> > [   0] [Active     ] [    0] System Bundle (0.8.0.incubator)
>> > [   1] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Shell Service
>> (0.8.0.incubator
>> )
>> > [   2] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Shell TUI (0.8.0.incubator)
>> > [   3] [Active     ] [    1] Apache Felix Bundle Repository
>> > (0.8.0.incubator)
>> > ->
>> > ->
>> > -> install file:bundle/servlet.jar
>> > Bundle ID: 4
>> > -> start 4
>> > DEBUG: WIRE: 4.0 -> javax.servlet.http -> 4.0
>> > DEBUG: WIRE: 4.0 -> javax.servlet -> 4.0
>> > DEBUG: WIRE: 4.0 -> javax.servlet.jsp -> 4.0
>> > -> install file:bundle/http.jar
>> > Bundle ID: 5
>> > -> start 5
>> > DEBUG: WIRE: 5.0 -> javax.servlet.http -> 4.0
>> > DEBUG: WIRE: 5.0 -> javax.servlet -> 4.0
>> > DEBUG: WIRE: 5.0 -> org.osgi.service.http -> 5.0
>> > DEBUG: WIRE: 5.0 -> org.osgi.framework -> 0
>> > org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Activator start error.
>> >        at
>> org.apache.felix.framework.Felix._startBundle(Felix.java:1305)
>> >        at
>> org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1201)
>> >        at
>> > org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.start(BundleImpl.java:345)
>> >        at
>> > org.apache.felix.shell.impl.StartCommandImpl.execute(
>> StartCommandImpl.java:82)
>> >
>> >        at

org.apache.felix.shell.impl.Activator$ShellServiceImpl.executeCommand(
>> Activator.java:265)
>> >
>> >        at

org.apache.felix.shell.tui.Activator$ShellTuiRunnable.run(Activator.java
>> :167)
>> >
>> >        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:568)
>> > Caused by: java.lang.ClassCircularityError:
>> org/mortbay/util/FileResource
>> >        at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass0(Native Method)
>> >        at java.lang.ClassLoader.resolveClass(ClassLoader.java:963)
>> >        at

org.apache.felix.framework.searchpolicy.ContentClassLoader.loadClassFromModule

>> (ContentClassLoader.java:58)
>> >
>> >        at
>> > org.apache.felix.framework.searchpolicy.ContentLoaderImpl.getClass(
>> ContentLoaderImpl.java:121)
>> >
>> >        at

org.apache.felix.framework.searchpolicy.R4SearchPolicyCore.findClassOrResource