On 02/03/2011, at 5:23 AM, Erick Tryzelaar wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM, john skaller
> <skal...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> I have to abandon this, it's a bit tricker than I thought.
>
> Aww, that's too bad. I love the idea.

It can be done. However I got some lookup failures from quick
hacking and realised it would take quite some time to debug
the 20 or so places where things got changed.

And that was just integrating tuples and records.
Same for cases and variants (they're the dual of tuples and records).
That would be harder since its less tested and less complete, and recently
Erick even wanted to get rid of an unused combinator intended to use with
variants.

Then there's integrating the structural types (structs and unions) in.

We go from 6 types to only two, eliminating 6 or more terms
(variant things have multiple terms).

The problem is it can't be easily done "piecemeal", and nothing
works if there's a bug.

I wasn't even sure if List.sort is stable (if not, I'd have to write a sort
to ensure sorting tuples does nothing).

And its not clear what to do with a data type where only some
of the fields are labelled.

I approached this problem by removing tuples. Maybe I can try
the other way:

BTYP_tuple (labels, types).

I.e. throw out records and add optional labels to tuple fields.

--
john skaller
skal...@users.sourceforge.net