On 14/08/2012, at 11:16 AM, john skaller wrote:

>> for x in 3.14,'foo',1234 do
>>  // compiler unrolls this 3 times ...
>> done
>
> Excellent idea. Type safe macros for table generation over heterogenous types!

You can try this. You will have a lot of pain!
It has to be done in the parser (don't use "for", use "tuplefor" to avoid
hassles parsing).

Felix used to be able to do this with macros, but macros suck and it
doesn't work with variables of tuple type -- a proper version using
polymorphic recursion would.

To make it work you must first think what it means.

In effect it means: the body of the for loop has to be a generic
procedure. So you must make a class for it in the parser.
The you instantiate the class with the usual patterns for
zero, one, two and many tuple components (you might skip the
zero and one cases to start, you need the "one" case to handle
"sub tables" of tables, i.e. nested tuples).

Doing this in the parser is NOT EASY because you have to write
Scheme code that generates the appropriate S-expressions.

maybe it can be done by

generic_iter P tuple

without resorting to the parser. I dunno. Might be a good idea to try
some examples "by hand" first, to see what the patterns required are.

--
john skaller
skal...@users.sourceforge.net