On 12/09/2012, at 9:14 AM, Dobes Vandermeer wrote:

> There are some decent command line parsing APIs out there one could copy,
> like:
>
> http://visionmedia.github.com/commander.js/
> http://code.google.com/p/joptparse/
> http://docs.python.org/library/argparse.html#module-argparse
>
> Inevitably, the feature set of all option parsing libraries converge ...
> might as well start with a good design.

No existing library has a "good design" because it is used to
parse existing command line syntax, which does not have a
good design.

The aim here is to fix a single unified syntax that is amenable
to a universal parser, i.e. one where you just say "parse it"
and then query the results. I'm not trying to parse "any old
command line syntax" but fix one that all Felix tools use,
which is easy to code and easy to decode.

--
john skaller
skal...@users.sourceforge.net