On 20/11/2012, at 6:06 PM, Dobes Vandermeer wrote:

> Did you ever look at the "Cheney on the MTA" approach to continuations?  This
> is how Chicken Scheme does things, they seem relatively happy with it.
>
> http://home.pipeline.com/~hbaker1/CheneyMTA.html

"We propose solving the tail-recursion problem in the same manner as Standard
ML of New Jersey, by allocating all frames in the (garbage-collected) heap"

Which is what Felix already does for procedures.
It's not clear Felix can implement the "stack becomes the allocation pointer"
that
is discussed in a portable way.

> It allows you to have full continuations in a fairly portable way, even for
> functions.
>
> One could imagine a system whereby functions are converted to "Cheney on the
> MTA" style if they use the continuation related features, and continue to be
> "normal" C/C++ functions if they don't.

Felix already does that for direct calls.

It cannot be done for calls through variables (closures) unless
they're all treated the same (because the type determines the
calling protocol).

At least part of my previous emails discussed that issue: converting
all functions to procedures.

--
john skaller
skal...@users.sourceforge.net