Dear Cherie –

Sorry, I so don’t meant to scare you, but my little boy who was 6 month old died from Baytrill – he only had a light sneeze and was not FelV+ or anything – he was eating and playing well, again just sneeze – but as soon as I gave the pill to him, he stopped eating and died within 72 hours – don’t know exactly what happened -I am sure that no one heard of this before (and no vet will believe it –even my own vet who prescribed it) – but it happened to my little boy -

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Cherie A Gabbert
Sent:
Friday, February 18, 2005 2:10 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: So Worried and Irritated (Cherie)

Sally,

Thanks for the info...I am a newer kid on the block, I am not sure why my vet likes Baytril, but every time my positive kitty gets sick that is what clears it up, we only do half a pill though.

Cherie

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Dear Cherie:

You need to keep in mind that with antibiotics, one size doesn't fit all.
Different antibiotics are indicated for different types of infections, depending
on whether you are dealing with gram-negative or gram-posoitive bacteria, and
some abx seem to be more indicated for infections in the mouth or eyes or
colon as opposed to a system-wide application.

Baytril is a broad-spectrum abx and one of the bigger guns available in the
abx arsenal. If you start with the biggest gun available and that isn't
working or the animal develops a resistance to it, you have nowhere left to turn,
which is why some vets are reluctant to start out with an abx like Baytril
unless there is a clear indication for it.

Sally in
San Jose