-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nina
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 2:42 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: OT: killing ferals

I just want to say that I'm sorry I included Tonya's name in this
thread. I know that Tonya is a loving caring fur mom, this just happens
to be one of those subjects that gets my fur up. I don't have the
answers either, I wish I did. I just know that I love my ferals as much
as the cats living in my house. The thought of anyone rounding them up
to be killed sets my soul on fire! I feel the same way about any "pest"
humans feel compelled to eradicate. Don't even get me started on the
plight of wolves!

Hideyo,
I'm sorry about what happened with your neighbor and her colony. I'm
praying that you are able to rescue Squeekie, and that Snoodle will
miraculously show up to feed at your house. So many good intentioned
people are just not committed to doing whatever is necessary to help
these guys make the transition to a new home. Sometimes even those of us

who are, can't always figure out how to help. I work with rescue groups
in my area and they have been an enormous help in many ways, but I have
yet to adopt out any cat in my care through them. I guess I just can't
give up the illusion of control. I say "illusion", because as hard as it

is to face, we aren't in control at all. All we can do, is the best we
can do. And you know as well as I, some ferals will never acclimate to
living in a house. I wish the woman had contacted you so you could have
come up with a better solution than just dumping poor Squeekie out on
her own like that.

Please don't beat yourself up for helping someone else take
responsibility for these cats. I know how frustrating and disheartning
it can be when people won't/don't take advise that you've learned
through hard knocks might help them. People pay me to help train their
dogs, and still don't follow my advise sometimes! You are already
overwhelmed. For the sake of the cats already in your care, your sanity
and limited resources, you have to allow others to help in whatever way,

or extent they are capable of. As Tamara has already said, there just
aren't enough of us to go around.

Much love,
Nina