Holly,

I'm so sorry to hear that Tiggie is gone.  Blood clots are always tough to treat because there's no way of knowing how many are forming or where they're going to lodge.  Shadowfax was lucky and they lodged in his legs near his feet.  I was able to give him a place to recouperate where he didn't have to stand if he really didn't want to.  But he was extremely lucky.  Clots can lodge anywhere there's a blood vessel - some places are very painful, some are not survivable.  My Dad's last cat had some that went to his lungs and heart -and he was dying relatively slowly when Dad found him and ran him to the vet,.  A friend of mine had a cat who had a stroke and died - presumably from blood clots lodging in her brain.

My Dad had a single blood clot lodge in the pulmonary artery in one lung and it kept his blood from getting oxygen.  He had to be hospitalized on massive doses of blood thinners and large quantities of oxygen to get through it.  My Mom had a blood clot lodge in the right side of her brain last summer.  It looked like she might pull through if we could get her over the pneumonia from accidentally inhaling a little water before we knew she was having trouble swallowing.  A second blood clot to her brain stem 2 weeks later took her from us.

Clots in people and cats work the same way and do the same things to them.  Cat blood is stickier than human blood, so any little amount of turbulence in their heart - from a murmur, leaky valve, or whatever, is enough to make more form.

What you did for Tiggie was a very difficult and kind thing.  It's never easy to say goodbye, but to have to say it to a young one, and one who was normal just a few days ago is so very hard.  I'll be keeping you both in my prayers.

Where there's Life, there's Hope

Kathy

"There is nothing so strong as gentleness, and there is nothing so gentle as real strength." ~ Sir Francis de Sates