-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of TenHouseCats
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:05 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: OT:FIV false positive? LONG answer!

oh, heavens, yes, chris--not only that, but to a great degree, all FIV
really seems to do is make cats big, lazy and couch-potatoes...
seriously--from the experiences at the FIV/FeLV sanctuary, the
HEALTHIEST population--including the owner-surrenders, strays and
ferals, were the FIVs.

three years ago, some strays brought in distemper. altho ALL the cats
had been vaccinated when they came into sanctuary, we had no way of
knowing, of course, whether they'd ever gotten the full, two-series
sets of shots to "set" the immunity. as you may or may not know (i
didn't), distemper spreads VERY VERY easily--as little as an infected
grain of litter carried from room to room is said to be enough.

TWO HUNDRED CATS died from that distemper episode, despite heroic
medical intervention (this happened about 6 months before i arrived,
so i luckily didn't have to deal with it....). not ONE FIV cat got the
distemper--not one. we saw similar results with less serious
infections--when uris ran around the buildings, the FIVs either didn't
get it, or recovered faster. why? who knows. there was some talk about
just dumping the FIV room and moving them from their building into the
general population--but we didn't want to make them sick! the only
consistent medical problem that the FIVs seem more prone to is herpes
viruses, and as everyone on this list knows, daily doses of lysine
dropped the incidence of that right back down. there ARE end-stage
symptoms of FIV that appear in some cats, but in most cases,  FIV cats
die of old age before they appear....

we call the FIV room the neighborhood bar: since 95+% of FIV cats are
former toms who got it while out fighting over girls (or, as one vet
suggests, running AWAY from males fighting over girls), it's mostly
big old neutered toms. once neutered, that need to prove themselves
evaporates. did i mention BIG? the largest cats in the sanctuary are
the FIV boys--it's been great fun to take the 16#rs and up to vets who
know nothing about FIV--"they can't possibly be sick!" exactly....

they lay around all day watching tv, drinking catnip beer, playing "go
fish," and talking about the mice they used to chase. you bring the
food into the room and they say, "um, could you bring that bowl a
little closer to ME, please?" they are the lovingest bunch of cats in
the world--laps are their favorite places to nap. the few girls
(mostly calicos, interestingly enough) just walk around shaking their
heads wondering how they ever ended up in such a place. MANY of the
sanctuary's FIV cats ended up going home with volunteers because they
were just too irresistable.

i have two fivs with my cats now; lost a third last august to
something totally unrelated to FIV.

many tnr groups don't even test for FIV anymore, i'm told, because
it's such a nothing disease--again, once neutered, the urge to bite as
deeply as needed to transmit the disease disappears. (in the rare
cases an FIV remains aggressive, pulling the canine teeth makes it
impossible to inflict a deep enough bite, according to one vet
source.)

the sentence about the FIV not affecting their life expectancy is the
key--as one of my vets said last time i was there (and she was NOT
good about FIV before working with us, tho she now has house
FIVs)--FIV cats die  WITH FIV, not FROM  it.

and three important things to remember:

FIV was recognized/defined/whatever as a particular, separate entity
during the early years of the HIV time in human medicine, and given
its unfortunate misleading name then. FeLV works in cats very much as
HIV does in human it terms of how it's passed, how opportunistic
infections affect positive cats etc--FIV is NOTHING like that. so it
is the name that is the scariest aspect of the virus.

most cats were NOT tested for FIV until recently, so many male cats
who were ever outdoors unneutered would test positive. if you have a
healthy cat who's been indoors since you adopted/rescued him, and he's
tested during a workup for something else and comes up positive--well,
think of how he's been up til then. he's been FIV+ the whole time, and
nothing's changed!

finally, remember that the current FIV vaccine, unlike the FeLV one,
ensures that a vaccinated cat will test positive forever. ie, if a
vaccinated cat gets out and is caught by animal control or taken in by
a rescue/vet unfamiliar with FIV, the cat will test positive and
likely be euthanized. i know that there are vets who vaccinate for
FIV, but i have to admit that even BEFORE i worked at the sanctuary, i
never met one.... if you DO have a cat vaccinated against FIV, then
PLEASE microchip him with that info! there's research going on right
now re: DNA (PCR) testing to differentiate the strain of FIV the cat
is carrying--whether it's the vaccine-induced version or not, but so
far the results are mixed--and what shelter/rescue is gonna do that,
anyway? there's a new vaccine, a combo FIV/FeLV one, that i don't know
anything about--so i don't know if that'll have the same problem. (the
AAFP--feline practioners--website has an article about how/why the
current FIV vaccine shows positive results....)

anyway, THANK YOU GLENDA for giving us this info.
(when you said natural vs IP--would that be "immunization produced?)

MC