Interesting. Dogs can be bred for different features, of course. The casual term Pit Bull apparently refers to several different dogs. Don't think the American Pit Bull was historically bred or trained to kill in the way you're describing, at least I've read that. As I recall, that's a more recent thing that's happened to some Pits, unfortunately - a result of the "human being" who wants that feature.

The features of animals change based on what breeders breed for - I don't think about that much with cats, because most of what I deal with are mixed breed cats. Not so with dogs and horses - there's more of a "breed" orientation. I'm not an expert, but I think that the features of the Quarter Horse have changed over the last 50 years - they look and act differently.

"Pits" can have different features, based on both breeding and conditioning by the owner. I found interesting web sites re pits - I didn't realize that several breeds are casually referred to as "Pits" - anyhow, here are a few pages -

http://pitbulls.jentown.com/

http://pitbulls.jentown.com/WhatisaPitpage/whatisapitbull.htm

http://www.pawsitivelypitbull.org/resources.html

I had a part-pit dog back in the late 80's, early 90's. Great dog. I trusted her with my cats totally - certainly more than I trust my sweet Walker Hound, who chases anything that moves.

Gloria

Wow, I can't believe how many of you cat folk are pit bull fans. You guys obviously don't live in Florida. It seems like every week there's a new story here about a pit bull mauling someone to death. And every time it's the same exact story. "My dog is the sweetest dog. She's great with the kids." Then one day... Problem is, these breeds were originally bred to kill. It's in their genes and it's well documented that they can snap at any moment. It's like having a loaded gun sitting around the house. Sure it might protect me, but...

Now euthinizing dogs based on breed, that's a different story. I could never defend that. These dogs can't help who they are. But if you have children and you're mixing them with a breed that's known to kill, that borders on child abuse IMO. I don't care how sweet the dog is today. And sure a lab or schnoodel can snap also. But if a lab bites me, it's not a death sentence. Bottom line is there are plenty of other breeds out there you can choose from. If you have kids, there's absolutely no way you can justify buying a pit bull or similar breed. The possible cost (death of a child) far outweighs any benefit.

IMO, owning any breed of animal that's easily capable of killing somebody should require a special, extremely expensive license. To get the license, you would need to complete many hours of education on how to keep said animal from killing someone. Maybe that would slow down the breeding of such animals. That's the real problem. Just my opinion of course. Like I said, here in Florida things are different. The stupid people far outnumber the rest of us here. And sometimes you have to legislate to protect the rest of the population from the stupid people.

Oh yeah. Which was the pitbull? Was it number 20? I didn't see a link for getting the answer.

-Kyle

----- Original Message ----- From: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Belinda Sauro To: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 11:07 AM Subject: OT: Find the Pit Bull [Interesting and Scary]

This is an interesting test that I failed miserably, it's scary to think how dogs are wrongly classified as this breed and are wrongly persecuted.
Take the test and see if you can pick out the pit bull out of this page of pictures. It's amazing how many other breeds look similar.
<http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html>http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
--
Belinda
Happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties ...
<http://www.bemikitties.com>http://www.bemikitties.com

<http://adopt.bemikitties.com>http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candle Light Service
<http://www.bemikitties.com/cls>http://www.bemikitties.com/cls

HostDesign4U.com  (affordable hosting & web design)
<http://HostDesign4U.com>http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs (non-profit web sites)
<http://bmk.bemikitties.com>http://bmk.bemikitties.com